Wednesday 1 May 2013

LYA LYA - Exclusive Interview


LYA LYA

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW:

LYA LYA is an UAE based brand, born in 2012 by creative director and designer Layla Shugri. With no design background, designer Layla Shugri used her exotic and mixed background to create a brand with bold personality and classic silhouettes. Her debut collection features fearless geometrical shapes, which enhance the unique design aesthetics of LYA LYA. Only recently established the unique handbag designs already stand out from the crowd as a LYA LYA creation, with its striking and power hardware detail.

(The Vault by LYA LYA)

 LYA LYA is a brand that is well recongised by many middle eastern publications and the woman of the Gulf, receiving 'Best Young Talent' by the Arab woman Awards organized by prestigious international publication, L'Officiel Middle East. Being an admirer of LYA LYA for a while, I am excited to share with you my exclusive interview with the designer herself Layla Shugri.
(Knight Rider by LYA LYA)

A big fan of LYA LYA handbags myself, I wanted to introduce something new to my readers, and maybe offer a new insight into those that already know of the brand.


EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW:

-How did the journey of LYA LYA begin? 

It all started with an idea, a passion and a determination to follow my 
dream.

-Where do you get your inspiration from, for your 
handbag/clutches collection?  

I have always been drawn to elegance with an edge. I am self-taught and continuously inspired by architecture, geometrical shapes, bold silhouettes and unusual structures that is apparent in every piece of my debut collection, I decided to choose bags as I believe it is the most intimate and coveted accessory a woman owns.  

-How has your Middles Eastern culture or style influenced your 
brand? 

I am half Lebanese and half Russian and been travelling around the world 
for most of my life so my taste gets affected by various cultures and I tend 
to design to the woman I aspire to be and that doesn’t necessarily belong 
to one specific culture.

-Who would be your dream client and why? 

Rihanna, I love her and the way she keeps on reinventing herself and 
testing new boundaries and she definitely doesn’t follow any trends but 
creates them. 

-What was you latest fashion purchase and by who? 

Yellow Neon Casadei blade pumps, as I am again addicted this season to 
neons. 

-What essential items, are always inside your LYA LYA handbag, 
that your day cannot survive without?   

My Shades, lip gloss, hair clip and a blusher are the items that I never 
leave the house without. 

-What essential items, are always inside your LYA LYA handbag, 
that your day cannot survive without?   

My Shades, lip gloss, hair clip and a blusher are the items that I never 
leave the house without.

-What does fashion mean to LYA LYA? 

Fashion is a way of expressing and presenting one selves to the world.
-How would you describe your own fashion style, and who is your 
fashion icon?

Simplistic, elegant and edgy would be the 3 key adjectives, I truly believe that you don't have to scream to stand out, and I see true beauty in simplistic elements that have a small twist or detail to let you gracefully stand out in the crowd and be remembered, I do refer to current fashion and trends too, not to follow it and stay true to my own fashion aesthetic and style. 

-What is the most memorable peak of your career so far? 

2012 was the year that LYA LYA was bought to life, a year that was filled with exciting news, milestones and challenges. The debut collection is the first collection that defines and represents the brand's fashion aesthetic and its direction, and after working on it for a full year I was very excited but at the same time anxious to launch it and the reaction that I got throughout the region was incredible, from the feedback of the clientele to me wining the young talent award in the region was very humbling and rewarding journey.

-What advise would you offer to aspiring designers?

To try their best while designing not to refer to any other brands and existing shapes, but to come up with their own unique shapes and to take risks. In order to succeed we must try to be irreplaceable and the sky will be our limit.
Many thanks to the Layla Shugri, creative director and designer of LYA LYA, for taking part in this interview, I am very honored to feature you on my blog.


LIKE SKARMAN'S PASSION ON FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/skarmanspassion


No comments:

Post a Comment